Executive Director, Valley Preferred Cycling Center
The Valley Preferred Cycling Center (VPCC)– known throughout the worldwide cycling community as “T-Town” – is a renowned velodrome and adjoining campus that hosts national- and world-championship caliber events as well as professional and amateur races; and also offers youth development programs and community outreach to help local residents improve their health and fitness through cycling. The versatile multi-use facility hosts cycling and non-cycling events year-round, and is managed in partnership with Lehigh County. The Velodrome Fund, Inc, a 501(c)3, is responsible for all program staffing, sponsorship solicitation, fulfillment, permitting, and ensuring all racing activity held under sanction of the USA Cycling and International Cycling Union.
We are seeking an energetic and versatile Executive Director to lead our facility and ensure that track cycling remains an exciting, vibrant, well-funded, inclusive, and growing segment of cycling in Pennsylvania’s Lehigh Valley, and nationally and internationally.
In addition to setting strategic vision and positioning, the Executive Director will also assume a wide range of responsibilities, including: overall facility management; oversight of staff (2-3) full time positions, numerous contractors, part-time employees, volunteers, and interns; managing existing sponsor and partner relationships and bringing new supporters onboard from both the local/regional community and the national cycling community; promotion of track cycling to spectators and participants; supervision and execution of our three premier racing series and community programs, as well as other owned and operated or hosted events, and development programs (youth, adult).
The Executive Director must be a self-motivated individual who is comfortable operating in a fast-paced environment and who can ably navigate the nuances of fundraising and expense management, facility management, event production, and community engagement while also ensuring that important day-to-day tasks are professionally managed.
The Executive Director assumes overall responsibility for financial management of VPCC and will work in conjunction with the Board of Director Treasurer and staff bookkeeper to set a budget and execute against said budget. Fundraising, partnership development and most importantly soliciting and developing sponsorship are key responsibilities, as are general revenue generation via ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, registration, and hospitality.
In addition, the Executive Director is expected to be a leader within the cycling community, and should be willing to positively engage all types of cyclists who see VPCC as a regional focal point, helping each constituent to find a way to connect with our facility, and welcoming cyclists of all kinds to our facility and events. Candidates should have a deep knowledge of athletic venue management, and especially event production and sponsorship activation, and familiarity with cycling and track cycling is a plus. Athletic achievement is not a consideration for this position, although connections to national and international athletes and cycling organizations is desirable.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with a variety of management concepts, financial management, practices, and procedures, and will rely on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. This role will lead and direct the work of others, and reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Responsibilities and requirements include (but are not limited to):
- -Overall management of the VPCC
- -Ownership of fundraising and secure new sponsors
- -Professionally managing a set budget by working closely with staff bookkeeper, Board of Directors, and accounting firm to maintain control of all revenues and expenditures, and communicate all budgetary information to the Board of Directors in a timely, accurate manner
- -Working with staff, community members, Lehigh County, and the Board of Directors to set vision and direction for VPCC
- -Enthusiastically represent VPCC throughout the Lehigh Valley cycling, business, youth, and not-for-profit communities to reinforce its position as an important regional resource
- -Maintaining the high level of international track cycling competition that VPCC is known for while also growing local/regional participation in track cycling, including event supervision in coordination with Events Director/officials/event staff
- -Collaborative communication with VPCC corporate partners to propose, sell and deliver effective – and profitable — marketing programs that meet client goals and exceed VPCC sponsorship budget
- -Ensuring excellent communication of events and activities at the VPCC; enhancing social media presence
- -Creating ways to expand the visibility of the VPCC to major northeast metropolitan areas
- -Extensive research, prospecting and networking to prioritize outreach to new local, regional, and national corporate partners at various commitment levels
- -Leading efforts to secure grant funding for tourism, youth development, and athletic competition initiatives
- -Liaison with Lehigh County to deliver all financial and operational reports on Valley Preferred Cycling Center activity as required in lease agreement, and to maintain cooperative relationship with landlord
- -Overseeing staff and cultivating a positive, professional, and inclusive environment within the organization wherein staff feels supported and empowered. Maintaining a safe and healthy work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing standards and procedures, complying with OSHA and other governmental regulations (insurance, licensing, etc.)
- -Collaborating with VPCC staff to increase ridership across all levels of track cycling, but especially among women, regional elite riders, diverse riders, new riders, and youth; welcoming and supporting athletes from all over the world when they make the journey to VPCC
- -Interfacing with Operations Manager to ensure smooth operation of all events and general facility upkeep
- -Ability to obtain Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, PSP Criminal History Clearance, and FBI Federal Criminal History Clearance
- -Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Business applications; other software proficiency related to event or facility management is a plus
- -Excellent communications skills (verbal, written, presentations)
- -10+ Years experience working in a related field
This is a full time, salaried position. Hours are flexible, but the Executive Director is expected to be present for all VPCC events, which means nights and weekends are required during our racing season (May-September).
A contribution towards the employee’s health insurance.Children and spouse may be covered at the cost of the employee. The VPCC offers a 401(k) plan, paid vacation time, and customary holidays.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to the VPCC Board of Directors to the following email: email@example.com
All applications must be received by 10/15/2023
Officials / Referees
The Valley Preferred Cycling has some of the most experienced track officials in the United States. Please consider taking the opportunity to learn from the best while helping the sport of bicycle racing. We are happy to answer any of your questions and to help you get started. More information is available at USA Cycling Officials.
Summer Interns and Event Support
Paid & unpaid full-time and part-time internships are available for the 2023 season. Please come back soon to check out the information on our Internships page for positions when they are available.
As a non-profit organization, the VPCC truly appreciates and needs the support of volunteers. Please consider donating some of your time to help keep our velodrome and all of its community and racing programs alive and healthy. Please visit our Be a Volunteer page for more information.
We are always looking to add motivated and enthusiastic coaches to our stable for all of our Community Programs! For more information on becoming a Community Programs coach, check out our Coaching Page HERE.